06 Jun Endives with cheese sauce
Today’s dish is a wonderful starter with endive as its main ingredient, perfect for any occasion and diner. Its preparation is very simple, as well as healthy and delicious. From the moment we start preparing the recipe until we serve it, it will only take approximately 15 minutes. A very reasonable duration in the rush times in which we live today, because you do not need to spend a lot of time cooking to eat healthy.
- 3 slices of smoked salmon
- 250 g Burgos cheese
- Olive oil
- Sesame seeds
The preparation only consists of a few quick and simple steps:
- Before consuming the endives, the first thing we must do is, to reduce their bitterness, pass them through the tap water and then dry them with kitchen paper. Afterwards, the base of the trunk is cut. (You can also consume the whole chicory without any problem if you want to make the most of it).
- After preparing the vegetables, beat the cheese together with the salmon, oil and chopped herbs, until you get a cream with texture.
- Next, we separate the leaves from the endives and then fill them with the cream we have previously prepared.
- For the final presentation, add the chopped walnuts, poppy seeds and chopped chives.
- The dish is ready!
Curiosities and benefits of endives
The colour of the endives is due to the fact that they are grown protected from the sun. By not giving them the sun chlorophyll, key characteristic of plants for their green color, is not developed.
As the Spanish Heart Foundation points out, this vegetable is an important source of fibre, vitamins and potassium. A food that should be included more often in meals. Thanks to the potassium it contains, it is always recommended in diets aimed at lowering blood pressure, as this favours diuresis. It is also recommended in diets destined to lose weight, thanks to its high water content and its low caloric value.
It is, undoubtedly, one of the main vegetables in the Mediterranean diet.